Thursday, November 09, 2006

Bats!

Ok. I was walking home from work last night, and was startled by this large, black object which flew by me. I realized, after watching it for a minute or two, that it was a VERY large bat. This guy was easily the size of a crow. Sadly, it is completely jet black, so a picture was out of the question, really. I'm sure glad they're fruit bats. (Edit: I've discovered that they're actually flying foxes. Look like oversized bats to me, though. Flying Foxes)


On a different note. The Melbourne Cup horse race was on Tuesday. It was amazing to me, as, in Atlanta, we don't seem to get into the Triple Crown races or anything, but here, the ENTIRE COUNTRY seems to stop. There's the crazy carnival they have for days in Melbourne. All the restaurants advertize specials. It's much like the buildup to the Super Bowl back home.

The company took us all to an expensive lunch. Then, the announcers start talking, and almost ALL of the people in this large place were crowded around the television. Then, in approximately two minutes, the whole thing is over. Just like that. At least the Super Bowl lasts a few hours for all of its buildup.

No comments: